Ben Barnes: I Got George Bush Into The National Guard

Video File from TPM

Ben Barnes, then Lt. Governor of Texas, got George Bush into the National Guard. I'm reprinting the transcript completely:

Let’s talk a minute about John Kerry and George Bush and I know them both. And I’m not name dropping to say I know ‘em both. I got a young man named George W. Bush in the National Guard when I was Lt. Gov. of Texas and I’m not necessarily proud of that. But I did it. And I got a lot of other people into the National Guard because I thought that was what people should do, when you're in office you helped a lot of rich people. And I walked through the Vietnam Memorial the other day and I looked at the names of the people that died in Vietnam and I became more ashamed of myself than I have ever been because it was the worst thing that I did was that I helped a lot of wealthy supporters and a lot of people who had family names of importance get into the National Guard and I’m very sorry about that and I’m very ashamed and I apologize to you as voters of Texas.
This is being picked up by Knight Ridder. Something tells me that Bush is going to be very sorry about throwing the dice on the Smear Boat campaign.